Hello Jack GmbH

List of toxic plants for dogs

List of toxic plants for dogs

Many plants can be toxic to our four-legged friends. Some can cause simple digestive system disorders, while others can be downright deadly. To keep your pooch safe, we'll give you a list of the most common poisonous plants.

Which plants are dangerous to dogs?

As a dog owner, you need to be careful about the plants in your pet's environment. Whether at home, in the garden, or on walks, it is likely that your pooch will come across one of these dangerous plants. That's why identifying them and knowing their toxicity level is a must.

Plants that are life threatening

Among the most dangerous plants are those that are very common in our gardens and homes. You must therefore be very vigilant if you have one of these plants:

Oleander
Very toxic, it can cause digestive, respiratory and cardiac disorders in dogs, who generally die as a result of asphyxiation.

The anemone
Deadly for dogs even in small doses, it is also very dangerous for humans!

Hydrangea
It contains a toxin similar to cyanide, which quickly leads to asphyxiation and death of the dog.

Holly
The berries of the holly are very dangerous. If ingested, they can cause excessive salivation as well as swelling of the tongue and mouth, breathing difficulties and vomiting. If a large amount is ingested, it can be fatal.

Foxglove
All parts of foxglove are poisonous. Foxglove can cause heart failure resulting in death.

Plants that can cause digestive problems

Other plants also contain toxic substances, but their ingestion will have less serious consequences on your dog's health.

Aloe vera
The gel and leaves of aloe are harmful. The saponin they contain causes vomiting, diarrhea and even lethargy.

Ficus
This is one of the most common houseplants, so chances are you have one in your home. Its sap contains latex which is irritating to the mucous membranes. This results in inflammation, excessive salivation and possibly vomiting.

Avocado
It is listed as a toxic food for dogs (link to article on food), but the leaves of the avocado tree can also be harmful.

The dotsettia
Very present in decoration during the end of the year celebrations, the dotsettia represents a danger for your dog.

Lily of the valley
The ingestion of lily of the valley causes irritation of the digestive tract, but also heart problems.

Tulip
Tulip bulbs are particularly poisonous. Be careful if your four-legged friend has a tendency to dig in the soil. Do not plant your tulips where your dog has access to them. In case of intoxication, the dog will present important digestive disorders: vomiting or abnormal salivation.

Arum
This is a plant whose parts are very toxic. It causes digestive or respiratory problems.

Mistletoe
It can cause cardiac and digestive problems, sometimes very serious.

Yucca
It is a rather dangerous plant and all its parts are harmful. Ingestion of yucca causes vomiting, paralysis, and even coma.

Cyclamen
It can cause convulsions if ingested in large doses.

Peony
It contains paeonol, which can cause vomiting, and diarrhea.

What are the symptoms of plant poisoning?

Dogs are greedy and some have the annoying habit of wanting to taste everything! So it's possible that your fur ball tastes one of the poisonous plants we mentioned out of curiosity. If this is the case, here are the symptoms that may indicate that your doggie is intoxicated by a plant:

- Digestive problems: vomiting, diarrhea.
- Excessive salivation.
- Nervous system disorders: tremors, convulsions, lethargy, paralysis.
- Cardiac insufficiency.
- Renal insufficiency.
- Inflammation of the mucous membranes: gingivitis, conjunctivitis.
- Respiratory failure.

Any one of these symptoms or a combination of them indicates that your four-legged friend has eaten a poisonous plant. If you can, try to identify the plant in question. Be especially careful if you have a puppy at home, as baby dogs tend to want to taste everything!

What should I do if my dog has eaten a poisonous plant?

The first thing to do if you think your dog has ingested a plant is to consult your veterinarian. If you have identified the ingested plant, tell your health care professional, as this will help in his diagnosis. If in doubt, or if you do not know the name of the plant, bring it or take a picture of it to show at the consultation. Also note all the symptoms your dog has developed and their evolution. All this information is important to know the severity of the poisoning and to adapt the treatment.

Under no circumstances should you try to do anything yourself. Do not try to make your dog vomit or give him human medication. Do not give your dog anything to eat or drink without veterinary advice.

Now you know which plants are dangerous for your pet. We suggest that you keep this list handy, as it may be useful. As a precaution, keep your houseplants out of your pet's reach!

Did you know that these plants are toxic to dogs? We're waiting for your reactions in comments!

Leave a comment: